Homecoming Spirit Shining Through Spirit Days

Kayleigh Podolski

The halls were filled with a wide variety of characters as students dressed up for different spirit days during homecoming week. Parents and elderly took over the school, students rolled straight out of bed to class, cowboy hats bobbed through seas of flannel and students were painted in orange, gray, white and black throughout the week of Oct. 11.

Members of the leadership team planned the spirit week to celebrate alumni, students, fans and community as they come together to honor BHS traditions of homecoming.

“[The spirit days] really just bring people together because if there’s a kid … a freshman who is nervous to dress … they come to school and … see all the ‘popular’, ‘cool’ kids of the school and … upperclassmen wearing spirit day clothes … I feel like it makes them feel more a part of the school instead of just ‘a freshman’ in the school,” said Maggie Kirchmeier.

The first spirit day was Tuesday: Dress as Your Parent or an Old Person. Some people truly went all out, bringing a smile to people’s faces.

“When I was walking down the hallway … I saw someone with a grandma wig on and it had … the curlers in it … It made me more happy and excited because it was nice to see that people were actually getting some fun out of [the spirit days],” said Josh Cortez.

Mr. Wilson: the real principal of the school. Emily Wilson, a junior, talks with a friend during lunch. She dressed up like her dad, recognized as a middle school principal of the past by many current high school students. “I liked [Dress Up as Your Parent Day] because everyone knows my dad and so it was funny to dress up as him … I think it’s hilarious [to see people dressed up],” said Wilson.
Thumbs up for Dress Like Your Parent Day. Sophomore, Alyssa Swanson, rocks the socks and sandals look. She paid homage to her dad through the classic cargo shorts and hat to tie everything together.

Spirit day two was pajama day. Most juniors were taking the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT).

Junior, Riley Conlen, said his favorite spirit day was “definitely pajama day because we had PSATs that day. I was … feeling myself.” 

Conlen was one of many who were appreciative of this purposeful timing. “That was the primary motivation for pajama day on that day because we knew juniors were testing … so everyone wants to dress comfortably,” said leadership teacher, Nate Grabowski.

Friendship = sharing your blankets. This group of friends goes above and beyond for pajama day. Cozying up with K-Pop blankets and onesies, they took full advantage of being able to wear pajamas to school. Who wouldn’t want that? (Robert Djordjevski)

The third spirit day was Western day to match the homecoming theme. Students clambered down the hallways clad in cowboy boots and flannels. 

These boots are made for walkin’ / And that’s just what they’ll do (Nancy Sinantra). Cowboy boots replace the usual fashion choice of tennis shows on Western Day. Students and teachers did not disappoint in the cowboy boots department. The halls were filled with ‘click’ ‘clack’ ‘click’ clack’ during passing times.

Did someone say cowgirl? Junior, Murphy Mcintyre, sports a cowgirl hat with her pink jean jacket. She was eager for the spirit days and wanted to take every chance she could to dress up: “I like that we get to do spirit days this year because last year we didn’t.”

While many did participate in the Western spirit day, it was still the most difficult day to carry out.

Sydney Roberts, a junior, said she did not have anything Western while Conlen said he did not have anything to dress up as a cowboy.

Spirit day four was, ever the classic, school colors day. Students are encouraged to wear black, orange or their class t-shirt. Each class has a certain color t-shirt: freshmen get orange, sophomores get gray, juniors get white and seniors get black.

The pep assembly on the final spirit day was a first for freshmen and sophomores.

A member of the freshman homecoming court, Nate Stark, said, “[my favorite thing about spirit days is] just seeing everybody … be together for one thing … being excited about one thing.”

As everyone wore the school colors, sophomore, Maddie Priemer, said how, “It shows your school pride.”

Heart Hands for Brighton. Member of the senior homecoming court, Ava Culver, holds up a heart during the pep rally on the final spirit day. Uniting the grades and whole high school through matching t-shirts, seniors all wore their black senior shirts.

“[Spirit days] make everyone bond together over one thing,” said sophomore, Justin Dio.

The Leadership class helps run assemblies, coordinate spirit weeks, and the like. They chose the spirit days, voting on which themes were the best.

Cortez, a junior in leadership said, “Our team dynamics are pretty hectic at first because we have a lot of ideas coming in and we’re learning how to communicate better and how to narrow down our leadership spirit day ideas to our best ones.”

As a class full of seniors with only a handful of juniors, leadership gets the view of students who are almost done with their high school careers.

“I think just having the experience and knowing what spirit days were popular in the past kind of helped [come up with the spirit days],” said senior in Leadership, Kirchmeier.

Both leadership members believe in the importance of spirit days as they bring people together.