Taking a Dive into Stress with Teachers and Students

Sydney Roberts

Stress (noun): a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances, from Oxford Languages. 

Students and teachers are both beyond stressed to the max. For students, it is all about applying to colleges, grades, exams, final GPA and balancing being in high school. For teachers, it is about grading papers, getting assignments in on time, giving assessments out at appropriate times, and just making sure students are striving in and out of the classroom. 

One task that is important to many students is when an assignment will be added to the grade book. When grading, teachers can be stressed equally as much as students.

“Of course, it stresses me out! Teachers have lives too. They have families. They have their responsibilities. So, it is like our homework, and while we are grading it, it still takes time, effort, and thought. Especially for English teachers or teachers that have free response questions for advanced placement classes to grade or any short answer to grade, it takes a lot,” said teacher Shannon Headley. 

Some teachers don’t get stressed with the grading process, but get frustrated with the scores some students receive on assignments and assessments. 

“I don’t get stressed out while grading papers, but it does frustrate me because I know my kids should get a better score… I know I have done my job, it is what it is and I just move on,” said teacher Tressa King. 

With everything going on within the past couple of years, students have been just going through the motions. 

“I worry about my students every day. And especially for teachers with children. They have to worry about their children and all of their students as well. I don’t know how they do it; I think about my students every day when I go home and I’m worried about them” said Headley. 

The weekend is always a nice time to take a break and decompress from the past week, especially if it was a hard week. Some students get stressed over the weekend with school work.

Reagan Damron, junior, said, “It stresses me out on a weekend that I will have a test on the following Monday.” 

Homework is always a big factor. In some classes, it can either bring your grade up or drop it dramatically. 

Lizzy Tinti, junior, said, “Something that stresses me out the most is trying to meet all of the homework deadlines.”

Stress relief goes a long way with lifting up someone’s mood, whether it is taking a nap or working out.

“I cope with my stress by working out and hanging out with friends,” said Damron.

Reagan Damron (11) and Lizzy Tinti (11) studying at Brighton Coffeehouse and Theater. The two are working together on homework for their anatomy class. “I like anatomy, it’s a fun class,” said Tinti.

When someone has a bad attitude about something it makes it always hard to be positive, especially while working. 

King said, “Honestly, sometimes it’s other teachers’ negativity. I am not that person; I like to turn it around and make a joke of something and bring a smile to somebody. So I’m always bubbly around and seeing the counselors and staff and just making somebody laugh. If you are not happy at your workplace with the people you work with, you will be in a bad mood and it is going to reflect.” 

The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has made teaching harder. 

“If we did not love this job we would not do it. And for a lot of teachers, unfortunately, who do love the job, it is becoming harder and harder for them to convince themselves to stay because of Covid. It should not have been that way, but that is the way it kinda has played out, which is sad for education in general and the loss of the great educators that have been here or anywhere,” said Headley. 

Students also turn to music to help cope with their stress individually. 

Olivia Umlauf, junior, said, “I listen to music. I like the artist Mitski, and Jobless Monday is my favorite song at the moment.” 

Everyone is going through stress, even teachers. If anybody needs help, reach out to a teacher, friend or trusted adult. It’s okay not to be okay. 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Available 24 hours a day 

Phone Number: 800- 273-8255

Dialing Code: 988