No phones in class, no problem

New policy regulating phones, listening devices in classrooms sees positive effects

Morgan Loiselle, Social Media Editor

Brighton High School students came to school on August 26 with not only a new bell schedule, but a new cell phone policy. Students are not allowed access to their phones during class, in a classroom or in other instructional settings (media center, LGI, auditorium, computer lab, study center) from bell to bell. Students must place their phones in the provided phone holders when they enter a classroom and cannot access their phones until the release bell rings. The new policy states, “Cell phone and electronic equipment may be used during non-classroom time.”    

Over the summer, a committee of BHS teachers and administrators met to discuss student cell phone use during the school day. This committee was formed after teachers responded to a survey indicating their concern for the number of distractions phones created within the classroom setting/during learning. 

While many students are unhappy about this new policy, BHS principal Gavin Johnson said, “The decision for this new phone policy was made to help kids in their classes.”

Johnson said that there is less bullying over social media and a decrease in vaping because students don’t have their phones to send a text and meet up. 

According to Johnson, the new policy has had a huge, positive impact on behavioral issues during class. He also said that students have told him directly that the phone policy has helped them with focusing on their more difficult classes. 

Principal Matt Evans agrees with Johnson and said he has not seen many students breaking the new cell phone rule. 

“I have only had one student come down for breaking the phone policy, and when there’s a problem with bullying, we try to…problem solve,” he said. “The new policy was put into place for social and emotional health and academic success.” Evans considers it a success so far.

While the administrators are experiencing a significant decrease in disciplinary issues in the office, teachers are seeing a positive impact in their classrooms. 

“I see students actually socializing instead of being on their phones during class. There has been a huge positive outcome,” said geometry teacher Amanda Bell. She said tt was negative at first, but once things settled down, it turned positive. Before the policy was updated, Bell had no problems with cell phone use in her class because she was one of the teachers who already had the rule of no cell phones in class. 

Students have indicated either indifference or support of the new policy. 

“In class I have been more focused and I have been getting more work done and overall I have a better perspective on the year because I have been getting better grades. I thought on the first day that I wasn’t going to like the new policy, but now I don’t mind it. I miss being able to have the option to use it,” said junior Emily Whitlow. “I’m neutral for the new policy, and I think the phones were becoming issues in certain situations.”