Teachers open bookstore in Downtown Brighton

A love of reading prompted the opening of 2 Dandelions Bookshop, an independently owned bookstore last weekend

The+reading+nook+in+2+Dandelions+Bookshop+is+a+cozy+place+for+readers+to+get+to+know+a+book.+

Avarie Willey

The reading nook in 2 Dandelions Bookshop is a cozy place for readers to get to know a book.

Avarie Willey, Staff Writer

One lifelong dream between two teachers come together to make big things happen. Kindergarten teachers Jeanne Blazo and Jeri Kay Thomas decided an independent bookstore is just what downtown Brighton needs so they opened 2 Dandelions Bookshop.

The Marketing Manager, Kelly Blazo, said, “what’s unique about an independently owned bookstore is that every single book was individually selected and they hope to create relationships with their customers. And the money stays in Brighton.” Blazo thinks it is important to shop local.

The owners opened this bookstore as a lifelong dream, and they love reading and know the value of holding a book in your hand. They also want to get people excited about reading and reconnect and form the connection with actual printed books. They want the space to also be used as a future hub to host private and public events and be a safe space to read for all.

Brighton High School librarian, Emily Hratchian, is also excited for the new bookstore. She agrees with Blazo, and said, “independent bookstores do a lot to go beyond just selling books and have a pulse of what is going on in the community.” 

Hratchian thinks that this is a really great benefit to any community to have an independent bookstore. She also said that herself and the other librarians are all going to go check it out on opening day!

Lifelong Brighton resident and BHS English teacher Jaclyn Burr also thinks having an independent bookstore is important for the Brighton community. She believes it’ll be a super wonderful thing for kids and can hopefully make reading fun. 

“When I was a kid there was a small bookstore downtown called The Little Professor, and it ended up getting overtaken by the bigger chain bookstores,” Burr said. “Books at those kinds of stores are cheaper but there’s a unique sense of charm from an independently owned bookstore.” 

The hours of this new store are typically going to be every Tuesday through Saturday from 10am to 8pm, and Sunday from 12pm to 5pm. The store will be closed each Monday.

Avarie Willey
2 Dandelions Bookshop opened the weekend of Friday, Oct. 11th.