Pink Week in Brighton recap

Karlyn Rainey

Brighton Student section throws pink powder in honor of cancer survivors.

Madeline Wiktorowski, Staff Writer

Pink week is always a huge success at BHS. From September 30 through October 4, the City of Brighton celebrated and supported those who are suffering and/or suffered from breast cancer. 

Throughout the week, BHS hosted many events and activities for students, teachers, and families to participate in. Some of these activities included pink shirts sold at Peddlers Paw (school store), Pick your Prize Raffle, Coins for a Cure, Haircut Challenge, and the locker decorating contest. Some of the other highlights of the week were the annual powderpuff game on Monday, SkyZone on Tuesday, Brighton Idol on Thursday, the football game with the survivor walk on Friday, and the Pink Week car wash on Saturday. All of the profits that were made during these events go to various breast cancer foundations. 

This was Leadership teacher Nathan Grabowski’s first time ever planning out Pink Week. Grabowski said, “We aren’t sure how much money we collected in total yet, but it should be equivalent to past years.”

Student appreciation for Pink Week has never gone unnoticed. Varsity football player Ruben Salinas said, “I moved to BHS this past year, and my school doesn’t even come close to comparing with Pink Week here.”

The survivor walk at the football game is always something to remember. The survivors and their loved ones walk out in a line on the field at halftime and release pink balloons into the night sky. Senior Josie Nicita said, “Pink Week is always important to her because her mom had breast cancer and this school always does a great job of celebrating the survivors.” Even though Pink Week can be emotional, BHS made sure that it was kept positive.