The Bulldogs beat the Highlanders in a Homecoming Battle 36-7

Sophomore Carson Billig moments before scoring his first quarter touchdown

Gavin Harrigan

Jacob Klonowski, Staff Writer

The Brighton varsity football team played the Howell Highlanders in the annual battle for the Jug last Friday with a final score of Bulldogs 36 and Highlanders 7. 

Coming into the game, the Bulldogs had nothing on their mind but a win. This game brings so much significance to not only the players, but the community as well. 

With the homecoming parade before, alumni in the stands, plenty of tailgates in the parking lot, as well as the homecoming dance the night after.

“Homecoming just adds more excitement, it feels like the whole city is there watching. It’s a huge rival game where old players come back to watch the game that they’ve been in before,” Senior Matt Jontz said. 

Jontz commented on this games significance compared to others. He said, “Sometimes a day like this can throw us off. The school day is totally changed and it feels way shorter with the assembly. But we overcame it, were playing for home field in the playoffs. It’s too late in the season to make any excuse like that.”

This statement by Jontz is truthful, as athletes’ minds and bodies are accustomed to the same schedule. With class times shortened by 20 minutes, an hour long assembly to finish the day off, the day is anything but normal. 

Courtesy of Andrea Putt
Seniors Matt Jontz, Luke Stanton, and Cole Riddle prepare to get in their defensive stance to take on the Highlanders.

Prior to the game, offensive coordinator Brent Luplow said, “This week’s practices were the best of the year. The guys are locked in and ready to go.” 

From the start of the game to the end, the Bulldogs dominated. The only people that thought it would be such a dominant performance is Brighton themselves. “ They had success with the ground and pound against some average defenses, but when you face as good of a defense as ours we shut them down and forced them to pass the ball which they also couldn’t do against our defense.” Junior linebacker Brendan Mercier said. Mercier also tossed in a “Hammer Howell” at the end of the interview.