Blue Buckets for autism awareness

A mother’s idea to raise autism awareness and inclusion

Blue buckets on Halloween ensure that every child, regardless of abilities, are able to have a voice and participate during everyday activity, including Halloween.

Avarie Willey, Staff Writer

Halloween is a time for children to dress up and go door to door in their neighborhoods asking for candy, but a mother noticed a problem the last time her son and her went trick-or-treating. Mother Omairis Taylor is trying to make Halloween a more enjoyable experience for everyone, especially children with autism.

Her idea started to be known from her Facebook post that read, “My son is 3 years old and has autism. He is nonverbal. Last year houses will wait for him to say Trick or Treat in order for him to get a piece of candy and there I go explaining the situation for the next 5 blocks. This year we will be trying the blue bucket to signify he has autism. Please allow him (or anyone with a blue bucket) to enjoy this day.” 

The Blue Buckets for autism awareness is a new thing this year, and the majority of people have not  heard about it yet. BHS students have never heard about this movement, but almost all wanted to know more about Blue Buckets. The students at Brighton High School agreed that it was a great idea and is super important to make all kids feel included on this fun holiday.

BHS Project Unified Coach and teacher, Jodi Renicker, hadn’t heard of Blue Buckets for Autism Awareness  either. All children being able to participate and have a voice during this holiday is a huge ‘win’.

BHS 2018 graduate and former member of Project Unified and now current BHS campus security, Shelby Gill, had heard of this vaguely but didn’t know what it meant. After gaining more knowledge of the subject Gill said, “More awareness for other students so they could ask and learn about it. To create more inclusion.”

The goal of these Blue Buckets for Autism Awareness is that it will grow and expand over the following years and get more people involved so this is well-known and children with autism have a better chance at having a good time trick-or-treating. Blue Buckets on Halloween ensures that every child, regardless of abilities, are able to have a voice and participate during everyday activity, including Halloween.