Toys For Tots, Giving Back to the Less Fortunate

Kyle MacKew, Staff Writer

Many families during the holidays struggle to put gifts under the tree for their children. Luckily, Toys for Tots, an organization made to help families in need during the holiday season, is spreading cheer and giving back this Christmas. 

Toys for Tots is a program created by the U.S Marine Corps that aims to collect unused, unwrapped toys during October, November and December. They then distribute these toys to the less fortunate children in the community they were donated in.

This holiday charity takes place in communities in which a Marine Corps Reserve unit is located. If there is no reserve unit close by, Marine veterans are able to conduct the campaign if approved by the foundation. 

Toys For Tots holds many activities and outings, such as golf tournaments and parades to raise money as well as accepting donations online at their website (https://www.toysfortots.org ).

In Brighton High School, teacher Sean Carney’s graphics class does their part to help the community, too. Carney’s graphics classes design and create T-shirts that they in turn sell for money. With the money collected from sales the classes donate the money to various organizations, Toys for Tots being one of them. “Over the last couple of years we have raised 2,000 dollars and hope to do the same again,” said Carney.

The students in graphics class have the opportunity to help bring Christmas cheer to children less fortunate and they are able to do it in a creative and fun way. Carney encourages his students to “take your talents and help others anytime you can.”

As the year dwindles down and the holiday season draws closer, it is the perfect time to start giving back to those that are less fortunate. Donate to Toys for Tots to make a difference in a child’s Christmas.