Boys cross country team wins state meet

Natalie Stafford, Co-Editor in Chief

For the first time in 24 years, the Brighton High School boys cross country team took home the gold at the MHSAA state meet. After an undefeated season where they came out on top in their division, conference, and regional meet, and of course, their state meet, the boys cross country team did not disappoint. 

On Saturday, Nov. second, the team chose their top ten runners to compete, with only seven running. The 2019 BHS boys cross country state team includes Daniel Campbell (12), Jack Campbell (10), Andrew Hanna (12), Brady Matuszewski (9), Evan Ross (10), Jack Spamer (12), Scott Spaanstra (12), Zachary Stewart (12), Donovan White (11), and Andrew Wilson (11).

After a disappointing end to their 2018 season and coming in tenth place at the 2018 state meet, the boys were determined to run their best at the 2019 state meet. Every competitor ran a 5k, and there were two top ten finishes on the Brighton team. BHS needed not only these top ten finishes, but also their fifth and sixth best runners to run fast as well if Brighton were to win this meet. 

Senior Jack Spamer started off his freshman year as an alternate for the state team, but throughout his high school and off season training, was able to reach one of the fastest times in Michigan. Spamer was one of the first people in the state of Michigan to break a 15:00 minute 5k since Grant Fisher of Grand Blanc High School, and now Stanford University in 2014. 

Senior Zachary Stewart made quite the achievement, not only in this state race, but for his entire career, meeting all state time for the fourth year in a row. He placed fourth in the race with a time of 15:30:07. 

Senior Andrew Hanna finished fifth on the team and 115th in the state with a time of 16:45. With Hanna’s his performance on the rainy Saturday afternoon was able to help the team to victory. 

The girls cross country team also had a good meet on Saturday, Nov. 2, coming out with fourth in the state with a whopping 197 points to BHS. Sophomore Katie Carothers placed twenty-second in the state and made all-state with a time of 18:27:9.