MiCareerQuest helps high school students explore career options

Teens from all around Southeast Michigan attend MiCareerQuest to learn about career options from real companies

The+Brighton+High+School+DECA+students+participate+in+an+activity+while+sitting+in+a+circle.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Brighton High School DECA students participate in an activity while sitting in a circle.

Natalie Stafford, Co-Editor in Chief

Over 10,000 high school students from Southeast Michigan met at the Suburban Showplace Collection in Novi, MI on Friday, Nov. 15 to attend the 2019 MiCareerQuest. This event is a hands-on career exploration event that is held annually to help students learn about possible career paths they can follow. 

This event focused on high-demand careers in the categories of advanced manufacturing, construction, health sciences, and information and technology. Employers throughout Michigan provided representatives from their companies who are subject matter experts on the high demand careers at their company.

Students who attended this event were able to chat with these professionals and even got to take a shot at their job! Hands-on activities were available at almost every station, and students participated in tasks like hammering nails into wood, using power tools, and much more, like viewing and sitting in a helicopter.

DECA members from Brighton High School attended this career-helping event. BHS does everything in its power to help its students to find the right career path for them through applications like Xello, the previously known Career Cruising, and now career expos like MiCareerQuest.  

Brighton High School senior and DECA Vice President Maverick Small attended MiCareerQuest. “The trip was to work on leadership skills as well as teamwork skills,” Small said. “It really helped the newer DECA members gain confidence in everything they do.” 

Many high schools from Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties attended this event to help their students learn more about the careers out in the real world, and how they are able to prepare for them, and pick the right one for them.