Brighton hockey’s new team brings about new challenges

Bulldogs feel optimistic about another winning season

Brady MacDonald, Staff Writer

The boys Varsity Hockey team is inching towards success this year for the upcoming season. The season kicked off on Thursday, Nov. 8 right after following three days of trouts. There are many new faces on the team this year which spread from freshman to seniors. There are a total of nine new kids on the team who will be able to help lead the bulldogs to another state championship.

Over the past 8 years, the boys hockey team has won four State Championships and have made six state final appearances. They also have won many conference championships and league championships over the years. The boys varsity hockey team has truly shown that they have earned their keep at the top of the high school hockey leaderboard

Trouts have just finished up and the team is ready to get rolling. They first start with a scrimmage vs. Trenton on Saturday the 16th then get right into the first regular season game on Wednesday the 20th. They will be playing Canton which is also the first league game of the year. Canton brings a steady lineup and will be a good match for the bulldogs.

The team is going to have some good matchups this coming season. Detroit Catholic Central is always a good rivalry. Both Brighton and CC are always good contenders for the D1 state championship. 

“The biggest challenge we will overcome and showing all the new kids how to compete at the level of Detroit Catholic Central” said A.J. Benit who is a returning senior Defenseman. 

Brighton also has Hartland on their mind and are looking to stoke the fire and come out with a win. In order to beat them “ we just gotta work and give them our best game. We gotta play physical and just put a lot of shots on net and drive for those dirty goals” said Logan Mitchell who is a returning Junior on this years team. 

With the start of the regular season just days away, the team is energetic and are ready to start playing. “I think the season is going to go really good this year. I think we brought back a strong core of players and brought in some new guys who can help our team be successful.”said Mitchell. This season is some of the kids last chance to compete for the D1 championship and every single one of them is looking to get there.