Brighton High School’s mark on Livingston County

The influence of BHS’s Food Drive will last longer than its three-week fundraiser

Ivy Muench, Co-Editor in Chief

The NHS Food Drive is over, but how big of an impact have we made on Livingston County? As a school, Brighton High School raised over $15,000 for Gleaners Food Bank. This converts to over 45,000 meals. 

First through third place receive lunch from one of the drive’s lunch sponsors. Fourth and fifth place have been awarded pizza for their tremendous efforts toward helping the community.

Teachers who won puppy chow or cookies should make sure to check their emails for an email asking which day they would like puppy chow or cookies to be delivered along with other information.

During the fight to be in first place, Nate Grabowski’s class ended up on top for the third year in a row, raising $3,150.

“What I would like to see is a bigger buy-in. I feel like there are classes and kids that don’t really sink themselves in… What we [Brighton High School] do is fantastic. I would like to see [the BHS Gleaner’s Food Drive] grow,” said Grabowski. 

There is no doubt that in years to come, BHS will continue it spirited energy when it comes to the Food Drive. As for the need to claim the Food Drive trophy, it is sure to come back next year stronger than ever with Grabowski, Carney and Davis fired up and ready to go.  

Senior Tori McMullen from Kimberly Davis’s class said, “Our teacher hyped us up the most. Maybe next year’s class can focus on [raising money] more.”

This drive is a special thanks to the NHS Food Drive Committee who created its special videos, counted the donations, sought out sponsors and more. 

“I enjoyed getting to help people and in general just getting to go around and feel like I am doing good for people,” NHS Food Drive Committee Leader, Alex Setty said.

Although the drive at BHS is over, donations can still be made to Gleaner’s Food Bank online on Gleaner’s website or in person with food of monetary donations at their building (Address: 5924 Sterling Dr. Howell, MI 48843).