Brighton Varsity Gymnastics kicks off season with a successful home meet

Against Livonia Churchill, Brighton shows promise in their upcoming season

After+the+meet%2C+the+Brighton+Gymnastics+gather+for+a+group+picture+to+commemorate+their+first+successful+meet+of+the+season.+

Natalie Stafford

After the meet, the Brighton Gymnastics gather for a group picture to commemorate their first successful meet of the season.

Natalie Stafford, Co-Editor in Chief

The Brighton Varsity Gymnastics team hosted their first home meet of the 2019-2020 season on Thursday, Dec. 5 at 6 p.m. at High Fliers. The team scored 134 points and beat their opponent, Livonia Churchill by just two points. 

“For the first meet of the season it was a great start, and we have plenty of room to grow,” Sophomore Captain Beth Faruzi said. Faruzi competed in vault, bars and beam. She said she would be competing in all-around once her wisdom teeth surgery heals. 

Competing in all of the events was Sophomore Libby Stafford. She scored a variety of 8’s for floor, bars, vault and beam, along with earning an 8.875 on bars. “I got the highest bar score of the meet,” Stafford said. “I’m very proud of that.” 

Natalie Stafford
The gymnastics take a picture with their Catholic Central supporters, holding up one finger to celebrate their win against Livonia Churchill. “It was really funny,” Libby Stafford (10) said. “I don’t even know who they were here to watch.”

Going into this meet, a lot of the team members were just recovering from injuries or had just gotten out of their fall-season sports. There were many reasons for the meet to be a challenge, but Stafford said that the girls brought their A-Game. “Everyone was scrambling to get their routines together, but we all did very well with what we had, Stafford said. 

Stafford also said she was very excited to see what the 2019-2020 season would bring for Brighton Varsity Gymnastics. “The outcome of this meet was positive despite the challenges we faced, but I am excited to keep pushing and make this season memorable and successful.” 

“There’s always room to improve,” Sophomore Zoe Gellerman said. She competed in beam and said she was really happy with how she did because it was better than expected. “I love supporting my team,” Gellerman said. 

To keep track of the Brighton Varsity Gymnastics team, go to this link to see their meet schedule. Their next meet is Thursday, Dec. 19 and it is at High Fliers Gymnastics Club. 

“We’re looking forward to see and live the improvements we are making,” Faruzi said.